Hello everyone. Yesterday marked my official first anniversary with Firedoglake. I am thankful for everyone, from the staff to the readers, who have supported the Roundup in the previous year. It has been quite a journey so far and I hope the Roundup can continue to improve in the future.
|By: BrandonJ Friday September 12, 2014 8:00 pm|
- Attorney Michael Ratner joins The Real News to discuss the world after Sept. 11 and how the U.S. contributed to instability around the globe
- As the U.S. arms Lebanon to attack the ISIL, Secretary of State John Kerry said it would not be appropriate to work with Iran in the case of the ISIL; Wait, what?
- 50 years after Freedom Summer, there is a renewed effort to continue the spirit of the movement through students and labor activism
|By: BrandonJ Friday September 12, 2014 5:45 am|
- While some Arab countries pledged to help in the coalition against the ISIL, Iran expressed skepticism
- Rania Khalek: “Israeli officer admits ordering lethal strike on own soldier during Gaza massacre”
- Clashes in Chile erupted between protesters and police officers, which may be over the anniversary of coup installing the Pinochet dictatorship after the overthrow of Salvador Allende
|By: BrandonJ Thursday September 11, 2014 1:45 am|
- Despite a new Iraqi government being formed, it is likely this new government will follow U.S. goals in the region; It is important to note Secretary of State John Kerry said he was “encouraged” by this new government
- In what is certainly significant, a new poll found 36 percent of Israelis are considering emigrating
- Bad news as thousands of Pakistanis have been forced out of their homes as floodwaters rise. More than 450 people have died as a result of flooding.
|By: BrandonJ Wednesday September 10, 2014 5:20 am|
- It looks like U.S. air strikes are being used by groups in Iraq against their enemies; It’s Afghanistan all over again
- Two officials of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s administration were caught taking photos with neo-Nazis in the country
- Zaid Jilani writes a strong piece on feminism and discrimination in the gaming community
|By: BrandonJ Tuesday September 9, 2014 5:45 am|
- Journalist Gary Younge explains the contradictions within U.S. foreign policy on the latest contemporary issues
- Economist William Black explains to The Real News the plan of Ecuador to implement a digital currency, which is intended to help the people there
- As a result of receiving money from large coal companies, some Republican lawmakers in Washington D.C. are investigating the Environmental Protection Agency for alleged “collusion” with other environmental groups. Specifically, the EPA colluded with them for new carbon emissions rules.
- A district attorney in Bristol County, Mass., dropped charges against two environmentalists and supported their decision of activism by vowing to go the People’s Climate March on Sept. 20-21.
|By: BrandonJ Monday September 8, 2014 5:45 am|
- “Hundreds of thousands” of Iraqi children, as a result of displacement due to the chaos, will be missing school
- French President Manuel Valls: National Front is at “the gates of power”
- Trevor Timm: “The police body-cam peep show: are you ready to give up your privacy, too?”
|By: BrandonJ Friday September 5, 2014 8:00 pm|
- The U.S. says there are currently no plans to work with Iran against IS
- An anonymous source from the UN claimed Iran and Saudi Arabia were close to an agreement on a new Iraqi government
- David Sirota: “Why Higher Voter Turnout Scares the GOP”
|By: BrandonJ Friday September 5, 2014 5:45 am|
- The U.S. warned the Islamic State could obtain chemical weapons from Syria
- Presidential candidates in Afghanistan told NATO they would work together to form a national government
- States with “right-to-work” laws spend more in public assistance compared to states without “right-to-work” laws
|By: BrandonJ Thursday September 4, 2014 5:45 am|
- Israel and Jordan are in negotiations over a $15 billion gas deal, where the oil from Israel will be sent to Jordan
- It seems the turmoil in Pakistan will soon end as some politicians were willing to go back to government; Unsure or missed how this issue started? Tariq Ali provides an explanation here
- France said it would not send navy assault ships to Russia over the latter’s actions in Ukraine