There are steps President Barack Obama could take right now to expedite the closing of Guantanamo Bay prison camps, where prisoners currently engaged in a major hunger strike continue to be held in detention. Yet, Obama and his defenders insist Congress is solely responsible for why the prison continues to be open and why prisoners cleared for release have not been freed.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Tuesday April 30, 2013 3:56 pm|
|By: Kevin Gosztola Thursday April 18, 2013 4:08 pm|
Guantánamo Bay prisoners have been on a hunger strike for over two months. Some of them have, in that period, been subject to forced feeding by medical staff in the prison. But, a new report that examines the United States government’s recent history of torture and abuse of detainees in the global war on terrorism highlights hunger strikes in the prison camps and recommends that forced feeding come to an end because it is abuse.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Monday April 15, 2013 10:45 am|
“Today, even George Orwell would have been pressed to conceive the plight of the 86: cleared for release, but denied freedom, using a hunger strike as their last weapon, only to be kept alive by the very people who will not let them go.” —Rupert Cornwell, The Independent
Over the weekend, US forces raided a part of the Guantanamo Bay prison and moved some of the prisoners from communal areas to “single-cells.” The Pentagon reported the action was in response to “efforts by detainees to limit the guard force’s ability to observe the detainees by covering surveillance cameras, windows, and glass partitions.”
The Pentagon also stated, according to coverage by Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald, “Some detainees resisted with improvised weapons and, in response, four less-than-lethal rounds were fired.” Army Col. Gregory Julian at US Southern Command, “which has oversight of the prison camps operation,” apparently claimed that captives had “resisted the assault with broom and mop handles as well as plastic water bottles that had been wrapped and modified into clubs.”
|By: Kevin Gosztola Thursday April 11, 2013 12:05 pm|
A prisoner, who has been held in detention for eleven years without charge or trial, has told an attorney that the prison authorities are trying to “break Muslims.” He is participating in a major hunger strike that has been ongoing since early February and shared details on his health as a result of his participation and what is fueling the hunger strike.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Wednesday April 3, 2013 4:57 pm|
British prisoner Shaker Aamer has been imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay for over eleven years. He has not been charged with any crime or given a trial. He has been cleared for release yet he remains in detention. And he is one of the more than one hundred prisoners being held at Guantanamo who have been engaged in a hunger strike.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Tuesday April 2, 2013 11:15 am|
For over eleven years, a British prisoner at Guantanamo Bay has been held in detention without charge or trial. He has been cleared for release twice and suffered torture. He has been subject to conditions of solitary confinement for his participation in hunger strikes and for asserting that others in the prison have human rights.
Shaker Aamer is participating in the hunger strike at the prison that has been ongoing since the beginning of February.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Friday March 29, 2013 9:44 am|
A Yemeni prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay prison, who has been participating in a hunger strike which has been ongoing for weeks, has requested “emergency humanitarian relief” from a federal district court because prisoners are being denied access to potable water.
The motion for emergency relief filed on March 26 by his attorneys asserts, “For the past three days, prison authorities have denied” Musa’ab Omar al Madhwani – “and others within his and one other cell block – access to potable water. When Musa’ab and his fellow prisoners requested drinking water, the guards told them to drink from the faucets.
|By: Jon Walker Thursday March 28, 2013 3:00 pm|
It is almost hard to believe that this Business Insider article by Robert Johnson wasn’t originally written for The Onion. Apparently Johnson is concerned that we have all forgotten just what a super nice place Guantanamo Bay really is.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Tuesday March 26, 2013 5:10 pm|
According to the lawsuit filed on March 15, Rosenberg “stressed that these records were ‘time sensitive’ and were sought in order to produce a report on a ‘breaking story [that] has generated wide public interest.’ Moreover, Plaintiff stressed the importance of reporting on this matter quickly so that the public can engage with their newly-elected government on the underlying policy issues involved.” She requested expedited processing.
The Pentagon had twenty days to respond to her request under freedom of information law. Yet, between December 31 and February 5, the Pentagon failed to respond to her request and claimed no exemptions under FOIA to withhold the requested records.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Friday March 22, 2013 4:30 pm|
Guantanamo prisoners engaged in a hunger strike that has been ongoing for over a month are losing considerable weight, according to attorneys for the prisoners. The Pentagon also continues to report a number of hunger strikers that does not match reports from attorneys, who have said there are many more prisoners on strike.