An attorney for a United States Navy nurse facing potentially severe repercussions for refusing to force-feed a Guantanamo Bay prisoner has indicated that the nurse, who has served nearly 18 years in the Navy, may be discharged. He is one of the only known conscientious objectors to force-feeding of prisoners.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Thursday November 20, 2014 11:17 am|
|By: Kevin Gosztola Wednesday July 16, 2014 7:47 am|
A Navy medical officer recently refused to force-feed a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay. It is the first reported act of resistance to the regime of force-feeding since prisoners went on hunger strike eighteen months ago.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Friday May 23, 2014 7:35 am|
President Barack Obama stated in a speech in May of last year that he was lifting a “moratorium on detainee transfers” from Guantanamo Bay to Yemen so his administration could review each prisoner on a “case-by-case basis.”
“To the greatest extent possible, we will transfer detainees who have been cleared to go to other countries,” Obama said. However, just over a year later, not a single Yemeni prisoner has been freed. The number of Yemenis in detention at Guantanamo Bay, who are cleared for release, is still 57.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Saturday May 17, 2014 10:30 am|
Hundreds of videos of force-feedings of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay have been ordered to be preserved by a United States district court judge. The judge has also ordered, for the first time, that the government halt the force-feeding of a prisoner temporarily.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Thursday May 15, 2014 11:15 am|
In the process of a lawsuit against the force-feeding of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, attorneys for the human rights organization, Reprieve, discovered the military has recordings of force-feedings. Attorneys have demanded that a court order the government to preserve video evidence so the videos are not destroyed.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Friday May 17, 2013 12:45 pm|
It has now been one hundred days since prisoners being held at the Guantanamo Bay prison launched a hunger strike. According to the Miami Herald‘s Carol Rosenberg, the Pentagon says 102 prisoners are now on hunger strike, and thirty are being “tube-fed.”
|By: Kevin Gosztola Thursday May 2, 2013 5:55 am|
The indefinite detention of individuals at Guantanamo Bay prison, “most of whom have not been charged, goes beyond a minimally reasonable period of time” and “constitutes a flagrant violation of international human rights law,” the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and a United Nations (UN) working group on arbitrary detention stated today.
The condemnation also came from Juan Mendez, a UN Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment, Ben Emmerson, the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism and Anan Grover, UN Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Tuesday April 30, 2013 3:56 pm|
There are steps President Barack Obama could take right now to expedite the closing of Guantanamo Bay prison camps, where prisoners currently engaged in a major hunger strike continue to be held in detention. Yet, Obama and his defenders insist Congress is solely responsible for why the prison continues to be open and why prisoners cleared for release have not been freed.
|By: Jim White Tuesday August 24, 2010 2:20 pm|
In May of 2009, Spencer Ackerman pointed out that the Steven Bradbury May 10, 2005 memo allowed reducing prisoners’ daily caloric intake to about half the recommended level for adult men in order to make them “more receptive” to interrogation. Today, there is a tidbit in Carol Rosenberg’s article about Guantanamo that suggests prisoners now are given between two and three times the recommended daily caloric intake. Why can’t Guantanamo count calories?