National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden in an interview with journalist James Bamford for Wired Magazine has revealed for the first time that he was disturbed by a “Strangelovian cyberwarfare program in the works,” which was codenamed “MonsterMind.”
|By: Kevin Gosztola Wednesday August 13, 2014 1:45 pm|
|By: Kevin Gosztola Saturday April 26, 2014 11:51 am|
The University of Connecticut hosted a keynote speaking event with former United States senator and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on April 23. She was asked a question about former NSA contractor Edward Snowden and proceeded to express puzzlement and mock him for disclosing information on top secret surveillance programs.
Much of what Clinton said deserves a rebuttal.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Monday April 7, 2014 9:02 am|
US government officials realized that hypocrisy had been exposed. Both countries could now be said to engage in hacking. As one senior administration official said to the Times, “We clearly don’t occupy the moral high ground that we once thought we did.”
|By: Kevin Gosztola Wednesday December 18, 2013 4:34 pm|
A presidential review group convened by President Barack Obama to examine the National Security Agency’s surveillance practices released its report after much criticism when it was announced that the White House was going to wait until January to make it public.
There is much to examine and explore in the 300-page report. Much of it further vindicates former NSA contractor Edward Snowden for having the courage to take copies of documents, provide copies to journalists and ignite a critical debate on privacy and the powers the NSA has claimed to conduct mass surveillance.
Forty-six recommendations were offered by the group. David Sanger and Charlie Savage of The New York Times pointed out, “The recommendations would remove from the NSA’s hands the authority to conduct many of its operations without review by the president, Congress or the courts. But by themselves, they would terminate few programs.”
|By: Kevin Gosztola Sunday June 30, 2013 6:45 am|
Retired General James “Hoss” Cartwright had been described as “Obama’s favorite general.” He was a four-star Marine Corps general who served as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs. He had apparently “impressed the White House with his intellect and expertise on the modern technology of national security, including on nuclear weapons, missile defense and cyberwarfare,” according to The New York Times.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Saturday June 8, 2013 9:00 am|
Back in November 2012, the Washington Post reported on a “secret” presidential directive that President Barack Obama had signed and characterized it as “the most extensive White House effort to date to wrestle with what constitutes an ‘offensive’ and a ‘defensive’ action in the rapidly evolving world of cyberwar and cyberterrorism.” This cybersecurity directive, which was classified “top secret,” has been published by The Guardian‘s Glenn Greenwald and is the latest in a series of leaks on government surveillance.
The directive is “Presidential Policy Directive 20.”
|By: DSWright Wednesday April 24, 2013 12:10 pm|
The Associated Press’ Twitter account was hacked reportedly by hackers working for or on behalf of the Syrian government who sent out a disruptive tweet using the account. The tweet, which claimed there were explosions in the White House and that President Obama was injured, sent financial markets plunging.
|By: Kevin Gosztola Monday February 4, 2013 2:05 pm|
A recently published story from the New York Times reports a “secret legal review” has been conducted on the use of cyber warfare by the United States. It concluded President Barack Obama has “the broad power to order a preemptive strike if the United States detects credible evidence of a major digital attack looming from abroad.”
|By: Kevin Gosztola Wednesday December 26, 2012 11:30 am|
On Christmas Eve, a US drone attacked a vehicle and killed at least two suspected al Qaeda militants in the southern Bayda province of Yemen. The attack happened in the early evening in the country. It was believed a “mid-level al Qaeda Yemeni operative,” Abdel-Raouf Naseeb, was one of the men killed. It was the first strike in Yemen in 47 days, according to The Bureau of Investigative Journalism.