Posted in: Lakeside Diner
“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, also known as the ‘Bishop of Corum’
- “Billionaire investor George Soros has warned European leaders they have a ‘three-month window’ to save the euro. He said he believed Greece would elect a government willing to abide by loan conditions imposed by the EU in this month’s elections.”
- “Europe’s leaders appear to be edging towards an ambitious and controversial new blueprint for a federalised eurozone after Paris and Brussels threw their weight behind Spain’s pleas for an EU rescue of its beleaguered banks.”
- “When Goldman Sachs economist Jim O’Neill came up with the BRICs concept in 2001, it served as shorthand for a group of economies that deserved special attention even if they weren’t quite ready to join South Korea and Mexico as new entrants to the OECD group of developed economies.”
- “A pair of scientists have accused BP of an attack on academic freedom after the oil company successfully subpoenaed thousands of confidential emails related to research on the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster.”
- “At first glance, the small Canadian town of Kitimat may not have a lot to offer. The town, on the coast of British Columbia, has seen a population decline in recent years and many of the local factories have shut down, with the exception of the aluminum smelter that was the centre of Kitimat’s birth in the 1950s. But one thing Kitimat does have is an excellent deepwater harbour. And thats what makes this unlikely spot the fulcrum for Canada’s effort to lever itself into a leading player in the worldwide energy market.”
- “Nato has signed deals with Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan to use their territory for evacuating vehicles and military equipment from Afghanistan.”
- “Evidence of an escalation in the bloody conflict engulfing Syria gave added urgency to talks yesterday between the EU and Russia – a key ally of the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad.”
- “China has arrested activists and placed others under increased surveillance to stop them from marking the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown.”
- TRNN: “Quebec Students Resist State Repression. Paul Jay talks to Jérémie Bédard-Wien, Student Organizer, CLASSE.”
- TRNN: “Removing Gov. Walker Necessary, but Wisconsin Mass Movement Must Reorganize. A Commentary by Colette Brown: Recalling Walker is important, but it isn’t good to lose momentum by diverting all energy into the recall campaign to elect a Democrat.” nonquixote?
- “Wisconsin: A Million+ voices, votes, can make democracy.” Be sure to read the text below the vid.
- “Florida Official Behind Gov. Rick Scott’s Voter Purge Linked to $1 Billion Campaign Effort Against Obama.” The Kochroach brothers make their appearance in paragraph 4.
- Bill McKibben: “The Planet Wreckers: Climate-Change Deniers Are on the Ropes, but So Is the Planet”
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.
Return to: Lakeside Diner