– did you know the worker’s rally at the haymarket in Chicago in 1886 was for the 8 hour workday?
– did you know that the 8 hour work day was established as US law in 1937?
– did you know that the haymarket riot was the incident that prompted annual worker recognition celebrations around the world that continue to this day…except for in America?
to the streets!
What does labor want? We want more schoolhouses and less jails; more books and less arsenals; more learning and less vice; more leisure and less greed; more justice and less revenge; in fact, more of the opportunities to cultivate our better natures.
– Samuel Gompers, The Shoe workers’ journal, Volume 16? (1915)
All belongs to all. All things are for all men, since all men have need of them, since all men have worked in the measure of their strength to produce them, and since it is not possible to evaluate every one’s part in the production of the world’s wealth.
All things are for all.
– Peter Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist, 1899
We are convinced that liberty without socialism is privilege, injustice; and that socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality.
– Mikhail Bakunin, Federalism, Socialism and Anti-Theologism