Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
- “The world needs to do more to prepare for the impact of a rapidly ageing population, the UN has warned – particularly in developing countries. Within 10 years the number of people aged over 60 will pass one billion, a report by the UN Population Fund said.”
- “The retreat of western forces from Afghanistan could come sooner than expected, the head of Nato has said as he conceded that the recent Taliban strategy of ‘green on blue’ killings had been successful in sapping morale.”
- TRNN: Faced with Police Violence, Thousands return to Spanish Parliament. In response to the police violence throughout last week and in reaction to the 2013 budget cuts, thousands converged outside the Spanish parliament on Saturday.
- Glenzilla: Sweden detains Pirate Bay founder in oppressive conditions without charges
- TRNN: Venezuelan Barrios Vote for Chavez and Participatory Democracy. Are Venezuela’s Communal Councils an extension of central power or an explosion of popular power?
- TRNN: Shadow Banking Still an Unregulated Threat. Jennifer Taub: Before the crisis, the top five financial institutions had assets equivalent to 50 percent of GDP. Now let’s fast-forward to 2011, three years after the crisis, if you look at the top five institutions that survived, and their assets are equal to 58 percent of GDP
- Mother Jones: MAP: Which States Hunt Wolves?
- Truthout: Five Biggest Lies About America’s Public Schools, Debunked
- Making Contact: COINTELPRO 101 (Part 1)
- Economic Update: Wolff will focus on wages, jobs, taxes, and debts – and on interest rates, prices, and profits. We aim to explain why certain economic changes are happening and other changes get postponed or blocked and we will explore alternative ways to organize enterprises, markets, and government policies
Marx in the Morning today at MyFDL about 12:30.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.