Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
- “French President Francois Hollande has outlined a series of budget measures, including cuts, aimed at achieving economic recovery within two years.”
- “Hong Kong voters were expected to give a strong vote of confidence to the territory’s pro-democracy movement after legislative elections yesterday that play a major role in determining the eventual shape of the full democracy that Beijing has promised the former Crown colony.”
- Glenzilla: America’s refusal to extradite Bolivia’s ex-president to face genocide charges
- Making Contact: “It began with an on-air rant by CNBC commentator Rick Santelli. It became a major political movement, with elected representatives on Capitol Hill. The Tea Party has come a long way, but who’s really behind it?”
- “Talks between teachers in Chicago and officials from the US’s third-largest school district looked to go down to the wire Sunday, ahead of a looming strike over mayor Rahm Emanuel’s demand for sweeping school reforms.”
- Mother Jones: Does the Dems’ Big Tent Still Have Room for Abortion Foes?
- TRNN: Green Party Presidential Candidate Presents a ‘New Green Deal’. Jill Stein: Neither Obama nor Romney have a program that will create millions of jobs
- TRNN: Black Agenda Report Editor: ‘Obama is not the lesser evil’. Glen Ford: President Obama has managed the crisis on behalf of the 1% more effectively than a Republican could have
- Rick Wolff: Capitalism’s Ideological Crutches
From St Pete for Peace on their action at Obama’s appearance in Seminole, FL on Saturday:
“A number of people from St. Pete for Peace and other groups were at the Obama appearance at St. Pete College in Seminole on Saturday, Sept. 8. Whew, it was quite a day.
We reached thousands with our antiwar banners but the response to us was brutal. We tried to engage the Obama supporters in peaceful dialogue, but with the exception of a few instances, we were just yelled out. Response to us was about as bad, if not worse as when we protested Bush. “Bomb ‘em all”, “They’re going to attack us here so Obama has to be there”, “Obama hasn’t killed anyone overseas”, “Why don’t you move to another country”, “Get out of here and go to the free speech zone”, “All Muslims are taught to kill”, etc. etc. One person even told us to go stand in the middle of traffic. And almost all of the people yelling at us were either in denial or totally ignorant – even worse than the Bush people.
But we distributed hundreds of flyers (though, when some people saw what we were handing out they started yelling to others “don’t take the flyer, it’s a bunch of lies”.) And Team Obama set up a free speech zone, but many of us instead decided to walk around with a banner among the throngs of thousands of people waiting to get in to see Obama. And just like at other events, the cops kept hassling us, but we just kept playing the little game and didn’t do what they said.
So, response to our antiwar message was worse than anticipated (though we were under no illusion of getting a positive response), but It didn’t matter — we were there and it was totally worth while.”
Blast from the past: Let’s Make a Dope Deal
The truth will set you free but first will piss you off.