Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
- “The Obama administration is close to a deal with Egypt’s new government for $1bn in debt relief, according to a senior US official, as Washington seeks to help Cairo shore up its ailing economy in the aftermath of its pro-democracy uprising.”
- “Moody’s has put the European Union’s AAA credit rating on negative outlook. Yes, ever quick off the mark, the number two credit agency appears to have worked out that there are one or two problems with debt on the continent.”
- TRNN: Spain’s Robin Hood Mayor and Landless Peasants Battle Bankers. In Southern Spain, Juan Manuel Sánchez Gordillo, mayor of the small town of Marinaleda, is helping organize a growing protest movement against the austerity measures imposed by the Spanish government. Sánchez Gordillo and the landless peasants that follow him are at the forefront of demonstrations seeking a radical change in the country’s economic policies in response to the country’s worsening crisis.
- Truthout: Economic Crisis Encouraging Factory Takeovers in Spain
- “From May Day to Labor Day, GlobalPost explores the human cost of what’s been called a ‘race to the bottom.’ The hyper-accelerated movement of capital, jobs and resources from the world’s corporations — manufacturing, agriculture and service — to the lowest bidder. In an era of diminished expectations, broken promises and sleight of hand, these are labor stories of governments, employers, unions and workers.”
- “Cuba’s government is relaxing its grip on the economy with a host of reforms. But for many, the change is too slow. The revolutionary island is still a world away from a free market, and even far from China’s market-driven model. GlobalPost takes a close look at Cuba’s rickety economy and what may be in store for it.”
- Truthout: All Eyes on Chicago’s Teachers
- Truthout: Financialized Agriculture: The New Realm of Social Activism
- Glenzilla: CNN and the business of state-sponsored TV news
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.