Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
- Aljazeera: Spanish mayor begins anti-austerity campaign (video)
- “Leading water scientists have issued one of the sternest warnings yet about global food supplies, saying that the world’s population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages.”
- “The author Mark Twain once remarked that ‘whisky is for drinking; water is for fighting over’ and a series of reports from intelligence agencies and research groups indicate the prospect of a water war is becoming increasingly likely.”
- “Britain has ‘given up its threat’ to enter Ecuador’s London embassy to arrest Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, Ecuador’s president has said. Rafael Correa told reporters ‘we consider this unfortunate incident over’, following assurances by the UK.”
- “Britain says it remains committed to reaching a diplomatic solution to the presence of Julian Assange in Ecuador’s London embassy, after both countries took steps to defuse a row over his action in taking refuge.”
- Aljazeera: Sex, lies and Wikileaks. As once friendly news outlets report the Julian Assange story more critically, we ask if the media has lost the plot.
- “Hafez Rajabi was marked for life by his encounter with the men of the Israeli army’s Kfir Brigade five years ago this week. Sitting beneath the photograph of his late father, the slightly built 21-year-old in jeans and trainers points to the scar above his right eye where he was hit with the magazine of a soldier’s assault rifle after the patrol came for him at his grandmother’s house before 6am on 28 August 2007.”
- TRNN: 120 NAM Countries Head to Iran Despite Western Pressure, Vijay Prashad: Syria will be the big issue in the Non Aligned Summit in Iran, with many heads of state visiting Tehran in spite of US/Israeli campaign to isolate Iran
- “They have dubbed it ‘Romneyville‘ but the name is not meant as a compliment to the Republican grandee shortly to be nominated as the party’s presidential candidate.” The go-to and spokesperson for Romneyville is Rev Bruce Wright, founder of The Refuge, a homeless advocacy group in St Petersburg.
- TRNN: Prisons, Profit and Immigrants in Arizona, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer defies President Obama on deferred deportation plan for undocumented immigrant youth
- Aljazeera: US: Still #1? Will whoever wins the US election find themselves with the unenviable task of overseeing the decline of the US? (Video, 45 min)
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.