Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
S’up, dude? (h/t Watertiger)
- “Greece must stick to its agreed bailout conditions, Germany says, at the start of a week in which Greece is expected to ask for more time to make cuts.”
- “The UK has insisted it will not grant Julian Assange ‘safe passage’ to Ecuador as it seeks a diplomatic solution to him being given asylum.”
- TRNN: Is Full Employment Possible in the Era of Globalization? Bob Pollin Pt4: The global “army of the unemployed” weakened American labor, but tariffs are not a solution – a mass mobilization is needed
- GlobalPost: On Location Video: Spain’s eviction epidemic (video)
- “Niall Ferguson is not a man who shies away from controversy. Nor, as a Scottish professor of history who jumped ship from Oxford to Harvard eight years ago and who said earlier this year that he was permanently leaving the UK for America’s superior ‘quality of intellectual life in my field’, is he a man who is frightened of expressing forthright opinions.”
- TRNN: Black Report: No Criminal Prosecution of Wall St. and Who is the European, Romney or Obama? Bill Black Finance and Fraud Report: Goldman and MF Global avoid criminal charges and Romney accuses of Obama of being a “European”
- Glenzilla: US drone strikes target rescuers in Pakistan – and the west stays silent
- “A retired Colombian police general, who served as the security chief for the then-president Alvaro Uribe, has pleaded guilty to having links with right-wing paramilitaries.”
- Guardian: Tiger population of India facing ‘total disaster’ due to tourism ban
- Richard Wolff’s weekly Economic Update of 18 Aug: Updates on European crisis (creative Spanish anti-austerity politics, Mondragon avoids worst of crisis, suicides in response to crisis), Chilean students’ strike against privatized education as bad education. Interview with Jen Hill, co-founder of new social movement Democracy at Work explains nature and goals of economic transition to worker self-directed enterprises (WSDEs). Question answered on dominant US ideology that blames economic problems on the government.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.