Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
- “The German Chancellor Angela Merkel returned from holiday yesterday to face a dramatically deepening euro crisis and threats from her senior ministers that Germany would veto the next Greek aid package at the start of what was billed as the most decisive 12 months of her political career.”
- TRNN: The Drought and the Coming Food Price Bubble. TIm A. Wise: US food reserves at an historic low as biofuels, climate change and speculation exacerbate food crisis.
- TRNN: The Fraud-lympics and Kansas GOP Moves Way Right. This week’s Bill Black Financial and Fraud Report
- “Exposure to radioactive material released into the environment has caused mutations in butterflies found in Japan, a study suggests. Scientists found an increase in leg, antennae and wing shape mutations among butterflies collected following the 2011 Fukushima accident.”
- “BP continued its giant sell-off after agreeing to dispose of its Carson refinery in California to America’s Tesoro for $2.5bn (£1.6bn) yesterday.”
- “In the vast rolling plains of Salkhit, 45 miles outside the capital of Ulan Bator, a work crew are busy bending large metal cables into an elaborate, squat structure. Once complete, and with a turbine the length of a football field inserted into the top, it will form a key part of the first wind farm to operate in this coal-rich but infrastructure-poor Asian country.”
- “An indigenous spiritual leader has been killed in south-western Colombia amid mounting tension between his tribe and left-wing rebels. Lisandro Tenorio, a traditional healer of the Nasa tribe, was shot dead by unidentified gunmen on Sunday.”
- Truthout: Bill Moyers: In Paul Ryan, the Right at Last Has Their Man
- Prof Richard Wolff’s weekly Economic Update for 11 Aug. Main topic: the economy and public health
Anyone who’s interested in doing a study group around Rick Wolff’s “Marxian Class Analysis Theory and Practice Online Course” please raise your hand. There are 5 sessions, each about 1 1/2 hours. I’m thinking about mid-September to start.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.