Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
Sheesh, the Olympics trumps pretty much everything it seems.
- “HSBC yesterday set aside $2bn (£1.3bn) to pay for likely sanctions in connection to extraordinary money-laundering allegations in America and mis-selling products to customers in Britain, but warned that the final bill could be much higher.”
- “The Obama administration was urged on Monday to stop diverting grain to gas amid warnings of an “imminent food crisis” caused by America’s drought. US government forecasts of a 4% rise in food prices for US consumers because of the drought have sharpened criticism of supports for producing fuel from corn-based ethanol.”
- “Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney arrived in Poland on Monday, where he received encouragement and what effectively amounted to an endorsement from the country’s former president, Lech Walesa, according to The Los Angeles Times.”
- Truthout: Bernie Sanders Calls Federal Reserve “Socialism for the Rich” After $16 Trillion Secret Bail-Outs, Including Foreign Banks.
- TRNN: “Quebec Students Continue Resistance. Report on the Quebec student movement’s July mass protest and future plans.”
- “Costly US efforts to build major infrastructure projects in Afghanistan are running far behind schedule, and may fall short of counter-insurgency goals central to the US military campaign there, a government watchdog has warned.”
- Truthout: Paraguay’s Bitter Harvest: Monsanto and Rio Tinto Reap Benefits From Coup Government
- Richard Wolff’s weekly Economic Update for 28 Jul: “Capital One Bank’s misdeeds, French socialists’ new policies, taxing churches in Spain, Walton family’s immense wealth, strike at Caterpillar, and taxing private wealth.”
- The Charlie Rose Show: Richard Wolff and David Harvey discuss Capitalism in Crisis
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.