“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, also known as the ‘Bishop of Corum’
- “European Central Bank (ECB) president Mario Draghi has said risks to the eurozone economy have increased. He warned of ‘heightened uncertainty weighing on confidence and sentiment’.” Ah, the ECB is worried about the confidence fairy. Anything to avoid reality.
- Democracy Now!: “Joseph Stiglitz on ‘The Price of Inequality: How Today’s Divided Society Endangers Our Future’”
- “At least 86 people, including many women and children, have been killed by Syrian pro-government forces in Hama province, opposition activists say.”
- “Bradley Manning, the US soldier accused of being the source of the biggest leak of state secrets in American history, has won a partial victory in his battle to force the government to disclose vital information that could help his defence.”
- “Anyone with a passing knowledge of the Bible knows that the rich and powerful face an almighty struggle to enter heaven. No one, it seems, told the folks at the Vatican.”
- “A NATO air strike in Logar Province, Afghanistan, has killed an unspecified number of people, with Afghan officials claiming 18 women and children are among the dead.”
- “Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered the construction of 300 new homes at the Jewish settlement of Beit El in the West Bank. The announcement came hours after Israel’s parliament rejected a bill to legalise settlement outposts.”
- “Though it passed without much fanfare, May 15 was the forty-third anniversary of ‘Bloody Thursday’ in Berkeley, California, a day in 1969 that began with 6,000 people marching down famed Telegraph Avenue towards People’s Park, a community-run free space (illegally constructed on land owned by the University of California system) that had recently been enclosed by a protective fence. Some demonstrators hurled rocks and bottles at the police, and the police answered back by firing birdshot and buckshot from shotguns.”
- “Newly released FBI presentations show the flawed and misleading information the government is using to train agents to identify and investigate ‘domestic terrorist’ groups such as ‘black separatists,’anarchists, animal rights activists, and environmentalists.”
- “Raw Video: Police Drag Occupy DC Activists to Break Home Eviction Blockade”
- Miss seeing Venus pass in front of El Sol? Here are a few pix. Plenty of sites out there with pix.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.