- “Germany has again stated its opposition to so-called eurobonds as the new French finance minister met his German counterpart for the first time. Eurobonds are a proposal to issue debt on behalf of all 17 euro countries.”
- “The rising star of Europe Alexis Tsipras, the radical left Greek leader, has arrived in Paris to warn EU countries that their turn would come if they failed to oppose the radical austerity that is driving Greece to the brink of ‘collective suicide’.”
- “As Indian stock markets and the value of the rupee continue to fall, where has all the money gone? Southeast Asia is getting most of the money pulled out by foreign institutional investors, says Reuters, which cites India’s ‘policy paralysis and slowing growth’.”
- “JPMorgan Chase has suspended its share buy-back programme, following a recent $2bn (£1.2bn) trading blunder. But the bank’s chief executive, Jamie Dimon, said at a conference in New York that it would keep paying a dividend.”
- “Google has ‘a matter of weeks’ to allay concerns it is abusing its dominant position in the search engine market, the European Commission has said.”
- “Nato leaders meeting in Chicago have endorsed plans to hand over combat command to Afghan forces by mid-2013. They confirmed Nato’s combat troops would be withdrawn by the end of 2014, with only training units remaining.”
- “The rift between the US and Pakistan deepened on Monday as the Nato summit in Chicago broke up without a deal on Afghanistan supply routes. Barack Obama, at a press conference to wind up the summit, made no attempt to conceal his exasperation, issuing a pointed warning to Pakistan it was in its wider interest to work with the US to avoid being ‘consumed’ by extremists.”
- “A leading Israeli human rights group yesterday released video footage apparently showing Israeli soldiers doing nothing to prevent militant settlers opening fire on Palestinian villagers with live ammunition.”
- “Aung San Suu Kyi will finally get a chance to deliver her acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize, nearly 21 years after she won it.” I wonder if Obama has any airstrikes scheduled for that day.
- “In the week Barack Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009, he ordered bombing attacks on Yemen, killing a reported 63 people, 28 of them children. When Obama recently announced he supported same-sex marriage, American planes had not long blown 14 Afghan civilians to bits.”
- “Thousands Call for Peace in Colombia. Thousands of victims of violence march in Bogota tell warlords they want an end to the conflict.”
- “‘Hell No’ – Your Right to Dissent. Michael Ratner: There is a North America-wide strategy to take away the right to mass protest
- Smiley & West. Featured guest is James Cone of the Union Theological Seminary.
- Prof Richard Wolff’s weekly Economic Update. “Major discussions of (1) why government take-overs of private enterprise are rarely ‘socialistic’ and mostly pro-capitalist, and (2) the basic causes and cures for unemployment in capitalist economies.”
I was listening to a blues show on the radio last night and I heard this line in a song. Don’t know the song, nothing, but this lyric sure stood out – God bless the poor cuz the rich know how to steal.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.