- “Every so often in America there comes a tragedy that exposes the country’s most sensitive faultlines: a shooting rampage on a university campus, a convicted killer executed when common sense suggests the evidence against him is horribly flawed, the murder by pro-life extremists of a doctor who has carried out abortions. And now we have the death of Trayvon Martin.”
- “Hundreds of Occupy Wall Street demonstrators marched to protest against police violence and demand the resignation of New York City police commissioner Ray Kelly on Saturday afternoon. Protesters marched from the movement’s original base of operations, Zuccotti Park, in lower Manhattan to Union Square, where occupiers and police have been facing off for the past week.”
- “Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has suspended her campaign because of ill-health a week before she is due to stand for a seat in parliament. A spokesman said she was suffering from low blood pressure and had been vomiting, due to exhaustion, doctors say.”
- “There are still many questions surrounding the horrific massacres in Afghanistan: did Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, now formally accused of 17 murders, act alone? What could make someone snap so suddenly and completely? Is the US military to blame for not screening their soldiers properly? One thing, however, is becoming clear: the US war effort in Afghanistan is drawing to a painful and shameful close.”
- “Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has offered full support for envoy Kofi Annan‘s peace mission in Syria, saying it may be the last chance to avoid a ‘prolonged and bloody civil war’. The governent in Moscow urged Mr Annan to work with both the Syrian government and opposition to end the violence.”
- “Israel’s top court has rejected a deal between the government and Jewish settlers to delay evacuation of an illegal West Bank outpost until 2015. The Supreme Court had earlier ruled that the post must be demolished by the end of the month, because it was built on privately-owned Palestinian land.”
- “Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina has said the war on drugs has failed, and it is time to end the ‘taboo’ on discussing decriminalisation. He was addressing a Central American summit in the Guatemalan city of Antigua.”
- “Struggle in the Chinese Communist Party. Minqi Li: The division between the pro “free market” forces vs those who want some socialism grows more intense.”
- “US Blocking Cuba Attending Summit of Americas. Alex Main: Latin America moving away from US control with CELAC, an alternative to OAS.”
- “Palestinian on Hunger Strike ‘in Mortal Danger’. Hanaa Shalabi, a Palestinian prisoner under Administrative Detention without charge or trial enters 36th day of her hunger strike.”
- “Israel, the US Elections and the ‘Jewish Swing Vote’. Hawkish stands on Israel taken by US political leaders have less to do with the so-called ‘Jewish Vote’ than they have to do with a few ‘Zionist Hawks’ billionaires.”
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.
*waves* Hou, Popeye! Just sayin’ hi and hope you’re doin’ well.