Free Bradley Manning!!
- “Adrian Lamo, the hacker who betrayed the alleged WikiLeaks source Bradley Manning to the US authorities, has said it would be to his “lasting regret” were the soldier to be given a lengthy custodial sentence.” Asshole.
- From Real News: “Bradley Manning Heads for Trial; No One Charged for Murdered Civilians. Ray McGovern introduces a short documentary deconstructing events revealed by Wikileaks.” Nice beard, Ray.
A little heavy on the economic news from Europe this morning but apparently the bus has neither a driver nor brakes and do we really know what the consequences will be for the US banking system and economy?
- “The chairman of the French central bank, Christian Noyer, has said ratings agencies should downgrade the UK before France because its economy is weaker.”
- “The full scale of big banks’ lobbying of the Chancellor, George Osborne, to get him to water down banking reforms can be revealed today. Senior bank executives met or called Treasury ministers nine times in the weeks after Sir John Vickers published his landmark proposals on how to prevent another banking crisis, The Independent can reveal.”
- “The world risks sliding into a 1930s-style slump unless countries settle their differences and work together to tackle Europe’s deepening debt crisis, the head of the International Monetary Fund has warned.”
- John Weeks in Part 3 of an interview on Real News: “Obama gave the banks time to rally opposition to severe regulations; another banking collapse is on the way.”
And now for something completely different:
- “When the World Outlawed War” David Swanson discusses his book about the 1928 Kellogg-Briand Pact and how it makes current wars illegal.
- “Researchers have spotted a giant gas cloud spiralling into the supermassive black hole at our galaxy’s centre.”
The truth will set you free but first it’ll piss you off.