Zeitgeist. It’s a cool word, makes a buzzy, crunchy sound as it rolls off your lips to snag attention when uttered.
It’s German for “spirit of the time,” referring to a cultural snapshot which encapsulates the mood of a group or society. There are many ways to capture zeitgeist; we often see it without thinking about it when we look at lists of “most read,” “most shared” content from blogs, news sites or portal pages.
One such snapshot we can share is Firedoglake’s Most Popular Videos of 2009. What does it say that Wanda Sykes appearance at the White House Correspondents’ dinner took multiple places out of the top 25 — the second slot in particular wherein she reefs on a certain radio personality? Fortunately Sarah Palin only features in one of the top ten, while Sen. Al Franken and President Obama feature in at least two of the top ten; let’s assume this reflects well of the spirit of 2009. And let’s hope the most popular video in which Sen. Franken discusses the rate of medical bankruptcies in U.S. bodes well for our aggregate attention going into the new year.
Without further elaboration, here they are, ranked by the number of times they’ve been viewed: Firedoglake’s Most Popular Videos of 2009. Auld Lang Syne, Firepups!
1) Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) humbles Hudson Institute dilettante over health care bankruptcies
2) WH Correspondents’ Dinner: Wanda Sykes thinks Rush Limbaugh is a fine fellow.
3) Rachel Maddow: Indefinite detention? Shame on you… President Obama
4) Wanda Sykes kills at White House Correspondents’ Dinner Part 1
5) Keith Olbermann – 8 years in 8 minutes
6) Birthers on the Hill
7) Ron Paul Talks About the Economy on Morning Joe
8) Al Franken Shuts Down Joe Lieberman on the Senate Floor
9) Nora O’Donnell and John Ziegler – “MSNBC=bad; Palin=good.”
10) Obama brings hammer and his A-Game to WH Correspondents Dinner – Part 1
11) Rachel Maddow: ObamaCare: The collapse of political ambition
12) Clinton Interrupted at Netroots Nation; answers on DADT & DOMA
13) Rachel Maddow Show – “…get out of the way of people who are actually trying to save the country.”
14) Marcy Wheeler on MSNBC to Discuss Possible Probe of C.I.A. Actions
15) Bob Woodward Hints at More Tax and Nanny Problems for the Obama Administration
16) Fox News’ Shepard Smith: “We don’t F%@king Torture!”
17) Wanda Sykes kills at White House Correspondents’ Dinner Part 2
18) Dick Cheney’s Daughter, Liz Cheney, Defends Her Father’s Torture Policies – Part 1
19) Sarah Palin’s Resignation Press Conference
20) Obama brings hammer and his A-Game to WH Correspondents Dinner – Part 2
21) Hardball – Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL08) has ‘a few thoughts’ about Dick Cheney
22) Al Sharpton Speaks About Racist New York Post Cartoon
23) Gay Exorcism? Really?
24) Ron Paul and David Shuster Discuss Rush Limbaugh’s Role in the GOP
25) Obama’s Press Secretary Robert Gibbs Addresses Rick Santelli’s Rant
A big thanks to our community members and contributors for a great year, and a special thanks to our tireless demi-gods of video who pull this stuff together and make it appear supernaturally every day.
Wishing you all a happy and with work and hope, a prosperous and healthy new year in 2010.