Thank you Jane for having me on today and thank you to the community for submitting so many questions in advance of this chat. I'll do my best to answer as many as possible.
Today I want to talk to you about ending the Iraq war and an amendment that I will be introducing to the defense authorization bill this June.
Half-measures and equivocations are not going to change our course in Iraq. If we are serious about ending the war, Congress must stand up to this President's failed policy now and do what needs to be done.
The current policy in Iraq has left us less secure and left our standing in the world in tatters. That is why we have to continue the fight to change course. The Dodd Amendment will improve accountability, provide a timetable for the Iraqi government to get its house in order, and safely and responsibly redeploy our troops and bring them home. Now is the time to responsibly bring an end to our involvement in another country's civil war while rebuilding our Reserve and Guard units.
The Dodd Amendment will:
- Immediately begin redeployment of U.S. combat troops.
- Set a firm deadline for completing redeployment by March 31, 2008.
- Provide no additional funding for combat operations after March 31, 2008.
- Hold the Bush Administration accountable during the redeployment period by requiring the Secretary of Defense to regularly report to Congress on the drawdown of forces.
- Institute measures that would make funding within the redeployment period contingent on the progress of phased redeployment.
- Restore the readiness of the military, Reserves and National Guard by transferring portions of monies that would have been available for combat activities.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this legislation to end the Iraq War.
Senator Dodd will start the live vlog at 5:05pm