The way to become a dictator is well known — every dictator has done it this way. There are only 10 steps. The Bushies have started work on all 10. Note that this article was published in England by The Guardian. The 10 steps:1. Invoke a terrfying enemy. Spain was also hit by Al Qaeda but only in America is this portrayed as the end of civlization.
2. Create a gulag. Guantanamo.
3. Develop a thug caste, an independent paramilitary force that is immune from prosecution. Young Republicans menaced poll workers in Florida in 2000.
4. Set up an internal surveillance system. Secret wiretap systems are in place.
5. Harass citizen’s groups. People at anti-war rallies are now in databases of “terrorist threats.”
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release. The Terrorist Watch List has been used to keep people who attend peace marches off airplanes.
7. Target key individuals. Eight US attorneys are only the famous civil servants who have been dismissed.
8. Control the press. Bush does it not just through intimidation but by pumping out such a stream of lies that we lose confidence in everything we read.
9. Dissent equals treason. Cheney called Harry Reid that just today.
10. Suspend the rule of law. Bush was recently given new powers through The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007 over the National Guard for use in a state of emergency, which he gets to define.
America has a strong tradition of democracy, so moves won’t be sudden. Instead the process will be through erosion.