I grew up Catholic, though I'm no longer Christian. Nevertheless, I want to wish a Happy Easter to all our observant Christian readers. Easter, not Christmas, is actually the most significant event in Christian theology, and, if Christianity is true (as understood by most Christians), also the most significant event in all human history.
I'm in the process of moving in completely with my partner of more than four years, which means I'm moving my home office into our home from my old place. That has meant ordering new furniture, painting, and lots of work to prepare the space in the basement of our home.
Today, as I was breaking down boxes from the furniture delivery, and as my partner finished painting the stairwell, we listened to Mahalia Jackson. He's not Christian either – he was raised Buddhist – but we both love Mahalia. When she sings "He calmed the ocean!" she sings it like a force of nature herself.
On the occasion of Easter, I thought it might be appropriate to pass along something Jesus of Nazereth probably actually preached. I do so without further comment
, from the account of the life of Jesus
attributed to Matthew:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 3)
- Blessed are the meek: for they shall posses the land. (Verse 4)
- Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. (Verse 5)
- Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. (Verse 6)
- Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. (Verse 7)
- Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. (Verse 8)
- Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Verse 9)
- Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 10)
As I say, I'm no longer Christian, but I can't imagine anyone giving Christianity a worse reputation in the world today than our own home grown Talibangelicals of the right wing.
For those of you who consider yourselves Christian but who are not authoritarian warrior Christian imperialists, I just wanted to say Happy Easter.