(Huge thank you to Kathryn in MA for sending along this adorable picture.)
– Crooks and Liars has an hilarious Daily Show clip, skewering the "Incredibly Awkward Situation Room." Too funny.
– Atrios points out that another $245 billion dollars is being poured down Bush's hole. Erm…that didn't come out right, did it?
– Well, this is good to know: "The Intelligence Community judges that the term "civil war" does not adequately capture the complexity of the conflict in Iraq, which includes extensive Shia-on-Shia violence, al-Qa’ida and Sunni insurgent attacks on Coalition forces, and widespread criminally motivated violence. Nonetheless, the term "civil war" accurately describes key elements of the Iraqi conflict, including the hardening of ethno-sectarian identities, a sea change in the character of the violence, ethno-sectarian mobilization, and population displacements…." Kind of makes the term F.U.B.A.R. seem a little quaint, doesn't it?
Gee, good thing the President wants to throw more soldiers at the increasingly horrific and out of control problem, huh? Because that's worked SO well thus far…well, not so much. Taylor has so much more. As does Juan Cole.
– The Muck has some quotes from the Hadley presser this afternoon. I watched part of it on C-Span, and the quote from the seemingly intellectually constipated Hadley that stuck in my mind was this: "the sectarian violence in Iraq has seemingly increased, and we need to get control of that." Um…yes, that would appear to be the case Mr. I Can't Brief Without My Note Cards. Jeebus, this one from the United States National Security Advisor really gets to the heart of why the Bush Administration's policies in Iraq have such long-term suckitude: "One of the things you should conclude from this NIE," Hadley said, "is the best plan is to have this plan succeed." Your national security policy, based on an Emily Dickenson poem. Great. Just great.
– The Young Turks had a fantastic interview with Sen. Russ Feingold on Wednesday, and they've got the whole thing up online if you missed it. It is well worth the listen.
– I don't know what it is about this post, but TBogg just never fails to make me laugh out loud.
– Jeralyn has some thoughts about The Scooter and Shrub Bus Tour.
– Skippy, just because.
– Jerome Armstrong over at MyDD has a campaigning update from the DNC winter meeting.
– Poputonian, over at Digby's, manages to work the words Cheney, LaRouche and bedfellow into a single post. Be very afraid.
– Will Bunch is trying to break my heart with this picture.
– Wolcott gets to the bottom of "Play That Funky Music" Biden's gaffe — or not-so-gaffe — as the case may or may not be, dispatching the minor kerfuffle with the trademark Wolcott brevity of snark. Boo-yah!