What is going on lately? The news is topsy turvy to outright bizarre.
– Woke up this morning to find that we had lost another two American soldiers in Afghanistan yesterday in a battle with the resurgent Taliban…but that Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist thinks we should just negotiate with the Taliban and bring them into the Afghan government. Um…hello?!? Taliban equals al qaeda, Bill, or have you forgotten that for some reason because I, for damn sure, have not.
Appeasement will not work with militants, and it absolutely is not appropriate to abandon the Afghan people — again! — to these thugs who will go back to the dark ages and plotting more terrorism against the US. You think they've forgotten who they are, Sen. Frist? What in the hell were you thinking?!? (PS — does this make Frist an enemy combatant under Bush's newly passed GOP torture support bill?)
– After Woodward's revelation that George Tenet and Cofer Black met with Condi Rice on July 10, 2001, regarding the desperate need for a more concentrated push on al qaeda threats in the United States and abroad, Condi stepped up and said it was "incomprehensible" that such a meeting would have occurred and that she wouldn't remember it. Well, yes, that would be incomprehensible, that close to 9/11 and just before the CIA PDB entitled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US" was delivered to the President at his ranch in Crawford…and yet, look what meeting was on your calendar, Condi? Except…ooops…you appear to have left this meeting out of your testimony to the 9/11 Commissioners. Wonder how that happened? And, unfortunately for Condi, Tenet did not forget about the meeting and his warnings to her — and he apparently told the 9/11 Commission about that in his testimony, but I can't recall reading that in the final report. Anyone know of a reference in there? (See this DKos diary for more. And while we're at it, how is Mr. Zelikow, formerly executive director for the 9/11 Commission, and now on your staff, Condi — how's that working for your?)
– On the pervy Foley House Leadership cover-up front, HotlineTV hits the nail on the head (YouTube): "This is now about…why didn't [the Republican Leadership in the House] pursue a real investigation. Did they just do just enough because they were worried about what they would find. It was totally like sweeping a floor to sweep this under the rug because they were worried about what they would find under that rug?…" The SFChron agrees with the Hotline talking heads on this one. (And, what happened to the WaTimes, who are calling for Hastert to step down as Speaker. Okay, and then saying Henry Hyde should take his place. Um…no.)
– Oh, and just when you are supposed to be feeling safer because the GOP is in control of the legislative and executive branches of government…North Korea has announced it will be testing a nuclear weapon. Just FYI. Way to multi-task there, Bushie.
– Interesting conversation on public sentiment on Iraq and what that means for the Fall elections in the NYTimes.
We live in very odd times, and I just get that confirmed each and every time I read another headline. I swear, you can't make this stuff up.
(Original line drawing for Lewis Carroll's Alice Through the Looking Glass by John Tenniel. Love this artwork.)